The European Commission has adopted a guidance note on the Unfair Contract Terms Directive. The note covers:
- the objectives and scope of the directive;
- key terminology such as “supplier” and “consumer” and “not individually negotiated” terms;
- relationship of the Directive with other national laws;
- the general unfairness test and transparency requirements – this part stresses the importance of national courts making assessments ;
- the non-binding character of unfair terms;
- remedies, guarantees and injunctions; and
- an overview of court cases and notifications.